Monday, August 31, 2009

Colors & Handwriting

Today the big guy did a lot of work!  He started out by going down to the school room and rearranging his schedule (ahem) and putting "snack" on top.  I explained he could actually have breakfast before school and still have snack later, but he insisted that he wanted snack food not breakfast and therefore the schedule had to be changed.  Hence, ravioli for breakfast- er, snack.

He listened to several books at Tumblebooks.com including one exceptionally long (and uh, sorta boring) one in Spanish.  Then he did some handwriting practice.  We're using Handwriting Without Tears which I was skeptical about at first, but he really does seem to be liking it way more than any other type of handwriting stuff (he's been extremely resistant to doing any type of handwriting previously.)  But I'm not going to push too much handwriting anyway because in all honesty I don't think its necessary this young.  Right now we're taking a few steps backward and forward with it since he already has some writing skills.  He does really enjoy using the chalkboard (I write it, then he wipes it with a sponge, then he writes it himself.) There were three other workboxes setup for him too that were all done by himself which allowed me to get some laundry done!

Oh, and the little one is sick today again (was all weekend.)  I found a color/word matching game that I printed off and laminated.  I then had fun with velcro and realized that its a game that works well for both kids.  I read the words to her and she has to find the color (she's just learning her colors) and the big guy is learning to read the words himself.

Now, off to blow bubbles.  Because afterall, what fun would school be without some bubbles?

No comments:

Post a Comment